The Runes are an ancient Germanic and Norse alphabet believed to have been in use in Northern Europe for 2,000 years. In Viking times, the Runes were carved into bone, small rounds of wood or stones. The Old Norse meaning of the word “rune” is “to whisper the mysteries.” There are 24 symbols in the Elder Futhark, or Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, Norse”Viking” rune alphabet. Each symbol relates to an ancient saga or poem from the Eddas, an 8th Century collection of Norsemen’s and women’s travels to Iceland, Greenland and North America. These stories include the interaction of the Norse gods and goddesses with humans, and are filled with powerful forces, courage and mystery.
Each of the 24 rune symbols has many meanings and identifies specific actions, energies and guidance for those who enter into the Rune Quest. Each rune also has symbolic color/s which represent it in ritual adornment and the creation of Cairns or Ancestor altars set in nature. By “casting” (throwing) or drawing a small runestone from a bag, or tray the questioner may ask for directions or information on the next best step in his or her life.
How to go on your own RuneQuest
- In this version of the process, look at the following rune images and choose one without first reading its description.
- When you choose your rune, before reading further, see what the image symbolizes for you.
- Then, read the description below. These descriptions assist the questioner in interpreting the specific meaning of this rune, relating it to their personal life and intentions for the future.
- Ask a friend or partner to look at the rune with you and share their interpretation for and with you.
- You may wish to create a sturdy cardboard or wooden disc on which to draw and carve, burn or paint your Equinox Rune. We create wood discs with holes drilled through for leather or twine. These we hang on our front doors, they adorn our regalia and personally- created ritual Staffs.
The RuneQuest is meant to be an interesting and evocative experience and is drawn from the Old World indigenous cultures of many of our ancestors. As an ecopsychology and dedicated intentional undertaking, the RuneQuest may help us to reclaim and enliven original Earth honoring practices and traditions brought by our ancestors to North America. We are re-creating these powerful ancient healing and intention-focusing traditions as we bring forward perennial guidance to serve and heal contemporary needs. In the ancient wisdom practices of Northern Europe, it is believed that, through the RuneQuest we may also direct right action and commitment to the Earth, our community environment and life purpose for the coming year. You may choose to dedicate the next year to honoring the special rune which chooses YOU!
The RuneQuest is here. The Transformations of Autumn Equinox are nigh!
Skol! Blessings from Godmother Marcie Telander
Vinotok Founder, Creator and Godmother – in 1985 Marcie Telander, with the guidance of the elders of Crested Butte, CO created the favorite and most iconic week-long series of Earth-honoring celebrations–Vinotok. As innovator and educator, creator and care-taker, magic-maker and mentor, Marcie continues to collaborate with and watch over the Vinotok sacred theatre, spirited players, Place Spirit, environmental advocacy and the people of the Gunnison River Valley. You may view her TedXTalk on the history and mystery of Vinotok–“TRANSFORMING COMMUNITY: Sharing our Stories and Spirit of Place” at http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=marcie+telander and visit her website: https:www.earthwisdominstitute.org